Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chicken Fried Rice - It's What's For Dinner!

Hi there people of the internet! After much thought on what fancy smancy foods I could prepare first to woo you all, I decided to do what what any broke 28 yr old would do. I would do something fun, simple, delicious and CHEAP for my first meal. So here you have it! Chicken Fried Rice!

So I guess before we begin I should show you what were working with. Like I said in my introduction I have a Teeny...Tiny.. Pocket Sized kitchen. It lives right in the middle of my teeny...tiny condo. The point I want to get across to people is that even though you may not be Rich and have a fancy pants kitchen to cook in with all the best amenities and a slew full of soy products, you can still make delicious meals. (even in the littlest of places).

Here are a few photos of my place so you can get an idea of what we are working with. :)

This is really the only area I have for prep work... pity me.







 
Alrighty, now that we are all good and acclimated to my 20 somethings living situation, let's get started making some chow!


Tonight's bits and pieces:


  • 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil- I used canola- cause that's what I had
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 1 1/2 pounds or 2 breasts, cubed chicken meat
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 large carrots, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 3/4 cup cut green beans, fresh
  • broccoli florets- to taste
  • mushrooms- if you like em- add a few, Ii did!
  • 3/4 cup fresh pea pods, halved - I used frozen cause I'm lazy, it was late and I refused to run to the store. If you won't tell, I won't tell.
  • 2 cups uncooked white rice
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • Any scrumptious seasonings you have just laying around. (I am a seasoning addict, so I literally use countless items, for photo sake, I used 4 so I would seem like a normal person).

 
The Beginning:  Make some rice. Sounds easy right? (yes I am aware it is after Christmas...just keep your thoughts to yourself, the spoons need a home while your cooking, hence snowman, spoon home). You ever hear the saying, do as I say, not as I do? Well this is one of those times. This recipe is better if you start with cold rice or older rice from maybe the night before. However, you can make it then let it cool like I did, it just takes much longer.




While you are making your rice, you can start preparing the chicken. Personally I like to cut mine up into little tiny pieces then put the seasoning(s) on them, you do as you like though, I won't judge.


Chop...chop..chop.

Season..season season...then season some more.
Chop up all your veggies.
By this time, your rice should almost be done. Remove from heat and let it cool. (look how happy those utensils look sitting on their snowman home)
Grab another pan and add a few tablespoons of oil. GET REALLY HOT!
While your waiting on that to heat up and the rice to cool down, pour yourself a treat! After all, cooking is hard work and you deserve it!
 
 
 Beautiful!
Alright add your cut up chicken to the HOT pan! Cook till no longer translucent.

 Add the egg in and let it sit for about 60 seconds then brake it up with your spatula or if your feeling fancy get a chop stick and do it!! Whatever makes it taste more authentic to you.



 
Add your onions and mushrooms

Now this is the part where you add your soy sauce and the veggies, but by this time i was a little buzzed so i forgot to take a picture of myself adding it! So instead, i shall show you this!


And this....
And this!...Oh my.


Side note : This happened quite a few times throughout the making of this meal. I felt you should know.


Alright, so after the egg and the veggies and a sip of your delicious frosty beverage, you add in the COOLED rice. and stir and stir and stir and taste. (gotta ensure it is not poisonous). Nom nom nom.


 


I added a bit more soy sauce at this point and then into a bowl and then into my tummy it went!





So what did you think of the first food entry? Tell me about it! Follow my blog and leave me some love! - Sarah






3 comments:

  1. You concurred that chicken fried rice!! Looks delicious - can't wait to see what's next :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good, hun :)
    You always make great food.
    We'll have to try this one out. We have pretty much all the ingredients!

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete