Friday, January 13, 2012

That's a spicy meat-a-ball!

Hi again interweb friends.

So in all honesty I was going to wait to make another post until after I went to the store and it was the weekend and I could make something that would really WOW you. Then the boyfriend decided to play a little video game, so I thought, I may as well take some pictures while I'm making some meatballs! This is a super quick and easy recipe that I started around 6:30. I used some canned sauce (..oh the horror) and made some spaghetti as well and everything was ready to eat around 7:15. 

First things first, here are tonight's bits and pieces:


 Since I am working with a camera phone I apologize for the quality of these! I am going to start using my real camera! Here is a list of the ingredients.

Ingredients

  • 1 bottle red wine of your choice and 2 glasses- what Italian meal is complete without the wine? 

  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • Salt, for pasta water
  • Olive oil

Meatballs:

  • 1 1/4 pounds ground Angus beef
  • 2 egg, beaten 
  • 1 tablespoon of milk for the eggs
  • 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs, a couple of handfuls
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano cheese, I always add more.
  • 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 small yellow onion. chopped
  • Salt and pepper, Garlic salt, Onion salt, Basil, Oregano and Red pepper flake



 Step 1 is to take your ground Angus and put it in a large mixing bowl.



 Then put in the bread crumb, cheese, garlic, seasonings, egg/milk combo and onion.
 
 
 
 Then mix together with your hands! Till it forms a giant mound of mushed together meat and goodness!


Lightly grease a cookie tray with Olive Oil and roll out golf ball sized balls of meat!
Now you should be boiling water in the meantime and have your sauce on the stove heating up as well! Should look something like this!







Now grab your wine!and pour a glass to enjoy with your boyfriend, girlfriend, pet, television or whatever!
This is one of my favorite wines by the way, in case anyone feels so compelled by my amazing help with feeding your family to mail me a bottle!




Alright back to work! Place the Delicious looking balls of meat into the over at 450 for 12 minutes or until the middle is no longer pink.




While these delicious little balls are baking you can add seasoning to your pasta sauce!  If your fancy like me and cheated by using pre-made canned sauce you will most likely want to alter it so you can at least make people think you made this from scratch! If you actually made sauce from scratch after working a 10 hour day, kudos to you, but remember, nobody likes a bragger. ;)

 
Alright so, in my home, my tiny, tiny, home. Cooking is made even more difficult by my amazing smoke alarms that I insist are alive and love torturing me! They go off so often it is stupid, and the best part is that by the time i walk out of the (non smokey) kitchen to go fan them they stop squawking. It's like they enjoy my misery. Anywho, I have started this little game with myself and i now rate the deliciousness of the meal by the amount of times little squawky goes off!! This meal should be most excellent as it went off 6 time in the duration of cooking it!

 Alright, now that you have ensured your home is, in fact, NOT ON FIRE, and have made certain the alarm is quiet, remove your meatballs from the oven and place in the delicious (homemade..har har) Sauce!

 
 
 
 I let them soak up the goodness of your "hours spent slaving over the stove" for about 10 more minutes!

While i strained the pasta




That is steam not smoke, but wouldn't you know it! Squawky decides to make a final appearance for all of 3 beeps! Just to ensure my insanity!


Alright mix everything together! Throw some more cheese on it, tell your boyfriend the dishes are his business  and you are good to go!
Enjoy!



 Let me know what you thought of meal #2 and keep a look out for my updates this weekend when I attempt to conquer Pancake cupcakes with maple bacon butter cream frosting!

3 comments:

  1. Looks YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM DELICIOUSO!

    Very cute blog my lobster! I look forward to reading more.

    <3,
    Your Lobster

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO - my oven is still broken, is it possible to cook a meatball without baking it? Yes...I did just ask that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled it - you can cook them in a pan on the stove :)

      Delete